Sunday, November 7, 2010

Are you serious?

Throughout the past 2 years or so, I’ve been getting a lot of comments from people, especially girls, saying that I’m way too serious and that I should “take it easy and chill”.  I must have been very awkward and boring around them! And recently I did realise the importance of being “chilled out”. It really helps in breaking the ice between people and in taking a break from the struggle of life. It is also important for humour.

However, this realisation has not reduced my high regard for seriousness.  I still thoroughly believe that one needs to be very serious in all circumstances other than those that I stated in the previous paragraph.
So, I want to dedicate this post to explaining why the hell I am so serious and why being serious is important, at least to the boring me! I hope I don’t sound too pompous by dedicating this post to myself. But I really think this explanation is worth sharing because I thought very hard and meticulously about it.

All of us have done good and bad in our lives. For those who are currently teenagers or those who have been through their teenager years, you know that we teenagers do wild things sometimes or even all the time. Being a teenager myself, I have done crazy things. But after doing these things, I felt very guilty and ashamed. I knew that I did something wrong by losing control of myself. Through reflection, I realised that this was not the type of life I wanted to live. I did not want to be a slave to my raging hormones and irrational feelings. I wanted to live a life where my body is a slave to my mind; where I am in control of myself. I wanted to search for a way of life that is universally valid; a way of life that does not harm life through my words, thoughts and actions, but only creates value through them. The search for such a way of life is not an easy one. Great people like Buddha spent their entire lives thinking of and developing such life frameworks. The search for such a life requires one to be very serious and determined about his mission. So that is one reason why I am so serious. It is because I am constantly searching for ways to improve my life so that I can stop harming life and instead, do my best to create value.  
              
When one is serious, he is controlling himself. When one controls himself, he is calming himself down and opening his mind to his environment. When you open your mind to the environment, you open your mind to yourself. When you become sensitive to your environment, you become sensitive to yourself. You and your environment are ultimately manifestations of the truth or the nature of life. So if you become sensitive to your life and environment, you become sensitive to the truth of life. You allow yourself to experience the truth manifesting itself infinitely frequently across the smallest intervals of time. Thus, by being serious and hence sensitive to life, you increase the chances of yourself grasping the truth of your own life. This is also one of the important reasons why I am serious. I am seeking to understand the nature of my own life, and being serious is a side step that is necessary to grasp this end product. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Really meaningful stuff. Thanks serious nerd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post buddy....you call yourself a bore!
    Gian Vincenzo Gravina said - A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.

    You certainly are not one ! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you just stop thinking you might get what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Mom:

    Thank you! Nerd is grateful to have you :)

    To Arun Mamu:

    I agree with that definition man! Makes me feel a lot better :)

    To Anonymous:

    Appreciate the comment, as you can see I have very few of them. I actually agree completely with what you say. I stopped thinking for a while recently and life seemed to flow and make sense a lot more. I guess it pays off sometimes when you just take a journey rather than keep reflecting on that very journey without moving on.

    But I'm not convinced that I should stop thinking completely. I should find some sort of a balance between thinking consciously and acting with my thoughts and philosophy in mind.

    Oh just curious, how did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete