Thursday, March 31, 2011

Iron law of life: Do it or don't

I was reading the book, "The 7 habits of highly effective teenagers" by Sean Covey recently, and I found two extracts on the power of commitment and determination very motivating. Here they are. I hope they will bring to you as much inspiration as they did to me.   

1. 

Once there was a captain and a lieutenant:
'Lieutenant, would you please deliver this letter for me.'
'I'll do my best, sir'
'No, I don't want you to do your best. I want you to deliver this letter.'
'I'll do it or I'll die, sir'
'You misunderstand, lieutenant. I don't want you to die. I want you to deliver this letter.'
Finally the lieutenant caught on and said, 'I will do it, sir.'

- Author unknown

2. 

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. There is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans, that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

William Hutchison Murray, Scottish mountaineer and writer.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I am glad you are finding the book useful.

    Puja

    ReplyDelete