Friday, December 2, 2011

Liberation

As I went through the finishing moments of exams, I couldn't help but feel a growing sense of freedom, of wild liberation. All around me in the cold confined space, I saw the same thing. Some were more excited, others less. Shouts, cheers, it's over! Liberty! Freedom! It felt like being released from a tiny dark cell.

Wild liberation, that thing was contagious. Running around in bouts of madness, watching my friends engulfed in their own frenzies, I couldn't help but feel the expanse within me contracting. It was fleeting; impermanent for some reason.

Then it all made sense. I was never forced into a cell in the first place. I created it. The pain wasn't real. It was all a product of my being. There was no actual period of confinement. There was no torture. It was all life. Life went on then. Life goes on now. I was never trapped, never liberated.

Now it occurs to me. I have always been living. There were no discontinuities. All that I've been through, those experiences were life. All those I met, those people were life. Life never trapped me. Life was never my confinement. 

Life is my liberation. 

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Beautifully written, something I also feel from time to time....especially after waiting for a certain phase to end, when it ends, nothing changes....a continuity....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience Ashu :) I appreciate your comment. Very strange it is, isn't it? You always feel like everything is going to change, like it's going to transform into this fairy-tale, but nothing really does. It's all within you to change, not the situation in itself.

    ReplyDelete