Saturday, March 3, 2012

To help and to be helped

How many times have we heard our parents or teachers say, "Be an asset to society" or "Be useful to society"? I don't know about you, but I've heard a lot of that. Why do they say this? Well, the world lacks helpful people and with more of them, it's likely to become a better place.

But is that it? Are things so simple? I don't think so... There is a catch to this whole becoming-more-helpful business. I realized this during my army training last week.

Imagine a day comes when most of us become super helpful and only a few selfish people remain. How then will those selfish people become helpful, when the people around them only want to help and do not want to be helped? 

By depriving a selfish person from the opportunity of becoming helpful, isn't a helpful person being selfish? Think about it...

To be truly helpful is not just to help, but it is also to have the ability and the humility to be helped. That's what I realized.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, that's actually quite brilliant, put like that. Hopefully army makes me that philosophical haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy! Thanks for writing man. Haha the army makes you slightly dumb and dependent on superiors for instructions. But if you keep your eyes open you get to experience new things and emotions, so that's the good thing about it.

      Enjoy yourself all you can man before you enter! Take all the great and happy memories with you when you enlist in time, they'll keep you going :)

      Delete
  2. Hey dude, its an interesting viewpoint that you got here! However, are you assuming here that 'selfish' people are actually willing to help, but are not given the chance to do so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Well, I didn't write with this with any assumptions or any variables or anything like that in mind. I just wrote about an experience that left me thinking. The thing was that I wanted to help a guy out of genuine care for him, but he was so stuck up with his own values and his huge ego- that he was the only independent guy who could help anybody- that he refused to take my help even when he needed it. I thought that to be very selfish of him, despite the fact that he was trying not to be selfish.

      As to your question, yes, I'm assuming "selfish" people are willing to help.

      Delete